Top 7 Stories of 2022
As much of the nation continued recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic, 2022 was a big year for economic growth and residential development in Decatur-Morgan County. It’s now time to prepare for a new year. As a community, it is important for us to look back and reflect on a year of news and events that have brought us to where we are today.
With that in mind, the Chamber would like to highlight the top seven stories from 2022 that make us excited for the future of Decatur-Morgan County and there was so much good news this year, we couldn’t choose just five. We encourage you to share this with your friends, family and co-workers as a reminder of the strength of our community as we head into the new year. Click any of the headlines to be directed to the original article:
- NASA Artemis I Launches Orion to the Moon - The Boeing Company and United Launch Alliance built the rocket's ICPS upper stage.
- ULA Breaks Ground on $300 Million Expansion - ULA is also investing in a new building for their strategic partners, Beyond Gravity.
- More than $50 Million in Construction Projects in One Block of Downtown Decatur - The Fairfield by Marriott, the Decatur Parking Garage and the ACA Residence Hall are under construction.
- Decatur Ranks in Top Ten Places Where Homebuyers Want to Live - Decatur was listed at No. 9 by Realtor.com.
- Decatur City School Named National Blue Ribbon School -Walter Jackson Elementary was one of five schools in the state named a 2022 National Blue Ribbon School.
- Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge Reopens after Renovations - The renovations are part of a $5.4 million federally funded project to improve visitor use facilities.
- Best & Brightest Initiative Expands - Partnering with Decatur Morgan Hospital and Decatur City Schools, the program is now recruiting nurses and teachers.