The City of Decatur has recently completed a full revision of its comprehensive zoning ordinance. Decatur’s zoning ordinance was published in 1987, with several portions dating back to the 1950s. In order to reflect a changing landscape and a modern community, Decatur’s long-range planning initiative, One Decatur, prioritized a full rewrite of the ordinance.
Featured updates include:
- Diagrams depicting required dimensional standards.
- Updated definitions and permitted use tables that are easy to interpret and determine which uses are permitted in each zoning district.
- Updated development standards for: landscaping, off-street parking, exterior lighting, and signs.
- Added standards for: development form and design, multi-modal access and circulation, open space set-asides, neighborhood compatibility, and green building initiatives.
- New zoning districts including: mixed-use districts, planned development districts, and residential mixed-medium and high density districts.